How to Set Up a VPN on a Chromebook
by Devin Smith seo
Most of the companies provide guidelines to download for Mac or Windows and that too in one click install set up, but if you can download VPN on your Chromebook also if you have an account with the provider of VPN. Most of the people are not aware of the downloading process of the VPN on Chromebook, and so they thought that it is not very easy to do so. But, it is not so difficult to download it, and you need to acquire knowledge about any extra parameters. Before you start downloading the VPN on your Chromebook, you need to check some facts.
The users should check and see if the VPN company from which you have purchased the service has provided their app in the Chrome Web Store. There are many companies that often provide applications such as Dashlane, NordVPN, TunnelBear, etc. and the users can install the extensions and apps. However, there are still some companies which do not provide such apps and extensions, and so you have to do the following things:-
Importing the Certificates
The users will be required to import the CA certificate if your VPN provider company uses a CA certificate for the connection. CA certificate could be defined as the key which is used to validate the entities or identities, and the users need to import one provided by the VPN provider company as the Chromebook has already installed many of them. The users need to follow the simple steps to import it:-
- First of all, the users will need to store the file so you could import it.
- Now, you need to go to the internet browser and enter the URL: chrome://settings/certificates by opening a new tab and press down the Enter button.
- The users will need to tap on Authorities and then click on the Import option to select the file you have downloaded.
- The users will be directed to a box asking what you trust to certificate to verify, and if the users are not sure, then they can skip it.
- The certificate will be installed and imported, and if you are willing to import the User certificate, then instead of clicking on Authorities, choose to click on User certificates.
Entering the VPN network settings
After importing the CA certificates, the users need to register their account along with providing server related information going to be used in the settings. The steps are the following:-
- The users will be required to tap on their account, or the Profile photo appeared in the right corner of the screen at the bottom.
- After then, you have to open the Settings by tapping on the icon of a gear.
- The users will need to move to the section Network and then tap on the Add Connection option.
- You will be directed to the option Add OpenVPN/L2TP, and now you will have to enter the information regarding your connection that opens in the box.
Note: The users can find the relevant information from the website of the VPN provider company, and if you have taken the Chromebook from your college or school, then get the data from the administrator of the Chromebook. The information required to be filled up are:-
- The users will need to mention the server hostname to which you are going to connect.
- You will also need to mention the name of the connections visible in the settings.
- The users will need to select the provider type as the following:-
- You should choose L2TP/IPsec+Pre-shared key if you are willing to enter the second password after signing into your account of VPN
- You will require to select an L2TP/IPSec + User certificate to have a get a separate user certificate.
- You should choose OpenVPN if you are not willing to select either of the above mention connections.
- Now, the user should go through the following required steps
- Pre-shared key:- The users should fill the second password here otherwise leave it as usual.
- User certificate: you have to choose the installed certificate from the list; otherwise, leave it as usual.
- Server certificate: choose the already installed server certificate from the list; otherwise, mark it as Default.
- Username and password: you will be required to enter the username and generate the password, and it should be identical to that of the pre-shared key.
- OTP: if you have received the one time password, then enter it here otherwise left the section blank.
- Group name: You can mention the group name here.
Now the users are all set to use their Chromebook with VPN
The users can click on the option Save identity and password if they are willing to connect with only one click, and after testing your connection, tap on Connect. If the Chromebook you are using can support the android apps, then you can download the app of VPN provider by going to the Google Play Store.
Created on Mar 4th 2020 23:51. Viewed 220 times.