How to Verify and Rebuild data in QuickBooks Desktop?by Linda Martin Certified QuickBooks Expert
Verifying the data identifies the most common data issues within a company file whereas, QuickBooks rebuild data tool helps the QuickBooks users in correcting the mistakes and errors that occur while using QuickBooks.
- There might be causes of fatal errors while using QuickBooks Desktop.
- There are possibilities of discrepancies on reports, such as invoices or bills that post with negative values.
- Deposited payments showing up in the Payments to Deposit window.
- The balance sheet reports not showing all the accounts.
- There are missing names from the list.
- There are missing transactions as well.
- Running a well-data checkup to make sure the company file is error-free.
Step 1: Run the Rebuild Data utility
- Navigate to the File menu, then click on Utilities >> Rebuild Data.
- Then, on the QuickBooks Information window, select OK. Follow the prompts carefully in order to save a backup.
Note: The system might display that ‘QuickBooks is not responding’. As long as the user can see the mouse cursor move, rebuild is still ongoing and they would need to wait for it to complete.
- Then Click on OK when the Rebuild has completed.
Step 2: Run the Verify Data utility
- Navigate to the File menu, then click on Utilities >> Verify Data.
- If the QuickBooks detected no problem with the data then select OK. The user may continue using the company file as well.
- If ‘Verify’ option finds an issue with your data, then it will be prompted to Rebuild Now or View Errors. Select on Close, and then perform the steps below.
- Search for QBWin.log or QuickBooks.log files.
- If the user is working with a support agent, navigate to the tech help window (press F2, then F3 on your keyboard). Move to the open file tab, and highlight the log file, then select ‘Send log files to Intuit support’. This will send the file to a repository which enables the support agent to view your log files.
- Check the log file.
- For windows users: Search (press ctrl+f on your keyboard) for begin verify, then search the most recent file (logs are in date order with the latest at the bottom).
- For Mac users: Scroll all the way to the bottom for the most recent Verify information.
- Find the line that contains the LVL_ERROR, then check Top data damage errors in QuickBooks Desktop or search it in the QuickBooks Learn & Support site.
- Note that the errors within both log files might not be exactly the same but are presented in the same format.
Specifying the file volume to reduce the corruption risk:
The overall size of the QuickBooks file has a huge risk for corruption but it is not always necessary that only the large files affect. Larger the volume of the file, greater is the risk of corruption. It is recommended to constantly monitor the size of the file and to keep it in control.
Monitoring and reducing database fragments:
The Product Information window shows the number of database fragments can be monitored. If the database is having the database fragments more than 10, the user can follow the given procedure to reduce the fragments.
- Resort List: In the list menu, using the Resort List option, because Re-sorting the list through the list headers will not put the same re-organization effect on the file.
- Rebuild File: Once the user is done with re-sorting the company file, they can use QuickBooks data file rebuild utility just by following the procedure mentioned in the initial section of the blog. Then rebuild the QuickBooks Data file data utility can also be used to repair the risks of corruption.
- Creating a Portable Company File: One of the most preferred ways to reduce database fragments is by creating a portable Company file and then restoring the Portable Company file to re-index the database.
If you want to learn how to rebuild data in QuickBooks - contact the QuickBooks Online Support Number 1-888-263-2742.
Created on Apr 19th 2019 07:07. Viewed 222 times.