by Alan M. Cohen LLC Debt Collection Lawyer in Boston

If the court has ruled in your favor against someone who owes you money, would your judgment still be valid if the jurisdiction in which you have won the judgment is not the same in which the debtor has assets?

The answer is yes.

Thanks to foreign judgments or judgment domestication, you can still get what you’re owed regardless of the jurisdiction your debtor’s assets fall into. Foreign judgment refers to the process of enforcing international judgments from another country into the US without the expense of prosecution. However, it is most often used to domesticate judgments into the state where the debtor lives or has assets.

A foreign judgment

 The process for domesticating a judgment is different in each state and some state might entail extra paperwork. But the basis of the process is invariably the same.

You should start by filing a copy of the judgment with the clerk of the court. The clerk would then send a notice to the debtor. After receiving the notice, the debtor will have certain days (based on the state’s jurisdiction) to dispute the enforcement. If the judgment is not properly addressed by the debtor in a timely manner, the debtor won’t be able to object the mechanic’s lien you filed and you will conclusively obtain your judgment.

While domesticating a judgment is not complicated, you should still be cautious with the accurate filing obligations. If you’re cynical about the efficiency of your efforts, you should contact a professional attorney in order to effortlessly navigate through the process of obtaining your judgment.

Sponsor Ads

About Alan M. Cohen LLC Innovator   Debt Collection Lawyer in Boston

18 connections, 0 recommendations, 71 honor points.
Joined APSense since, May 27th, 2017, From Boston, United States.

Created on Jan 4th 2018 01:25. Viewed 235 times.


No comment, be the first to comment.
Please sign in before you comment.