How Can You Resolve QuickBooks Desktop Doesn’t Start Error?by howfixerrors Errors QuickBooks Accounting and Bookkeeping Services
Are you looking for a solution to QuickBooks desktop that doesn't start? If yes, then great because you have reached the right place. QuickBooks encounters numerous errors, but one of the main errors happens when QuickBooks doesn't start in an unexpected state. It may occur due to the technical glitches that arise due to system and environment problems in addition to how QB interacts with these variables. Hence, it is always advisable to upgrade to the latest QB with advanced features and tools to get rid of such errors frequently.
Here in this troubleshooting guide, we will discuss all the possible causes when QuickBooks Desktop doesn’t start and the related symptoms along with the troubleshooting methods that will help to correct this issue.
What are the possible reasons for “QuickBooks has stopped working”?
There can be several reasons that might lead to this type of Error. We have noted a few of the commonly seen factors. Let us check out those causes
- Corruption may arise in your computer hard drive
- The company's name might be too long or extensive
- An obsolete operating system
- Besides, if by any chance the QuickBooks Desktop installation does not functioning effectively, then be prepared to encounter this Error
- Another factor that can cause this problem can be damaged or missing QBWUSER.INI file
- Your Windows is not up to date or damaged
- If somehow, the hard drive got corrupted, then the user might face this Error
- Incorrect ways of opening a particular file can also end up in this kind of Error.
- One more reason can be, if there is any kind of issue with the reports in the file, and then this kind of Error could be seen.
- Another reason can be if an incorrect QuickBooks version or outdated QB version is used to open the files.
What are the symptoms if QuickBooks is not opening the company file?
In order to identify or spot the Error, it is necessary for the user to consider the below stated signs and symptoms.
- A QuickBooks Desktop that does not react.
- The system stalls frequently.
- The computer is responding slowly to the use of the keyboard and the click of the mouse.
- Also, if the QuickBooks desktop freezes while running the same applications.
- If the user is making use of an old version of QuickBooks, then the Error is probable to happen.
- QuickBooks is not installed correctly.
- Windows runs slowly
- Another sign of this Error can be if the QuickBooks company file fails to open.
- The system will show error messages as if QuickBooks has stopped working or QB will not open, or you may also see some related error messages.
How Can You Troubleshoot the Error: QuickBooks Desktop Doesn’t Start?
Solution 1: Close the QBW32.exe process
- At first, Right-click the Windows taskbar on your desktop and select Start Task Manager
- Then, click on the Processes tab above in the window screen and click the Image Name header to sort the processes alphabetically
- Locate and select EXE
- Click on the End process to close the exe process.
Solution 2: Rename the QBWUSER.ini file
- Access the folder in which ini is saved. If you are unable to find it, then enable hidden folders and files.
- Once found, right-click on the QBWUSER.ini file and then Rename.
- After you select it, type Insert.old in the end of the file name.
Change the name of the ECML file. You may get lucky and the QuickBooks might start working after renaming the files.
I.If you cannot log in to the QuickBooks Desktop even after performing the above steps, it is possible that the company file is damaged. You should try to restore the backup instead of that file.
II.If the QuickBooks will not start, then it is likely that the actual QuickBooks program is damaged.
Solution 3: Create a new windows admin user
· Click on the control panel and navigate through it.
· Double click on user account then-manager user and then to click add.
· Once done, enter the name as well as the domain of the administrator and then click the OK button.
· If using Windows 10, then select the administrator.
· After this, click on the Finish, which will redirect to the user account dialogue box. Now click OK
Solution 4: Download and Install QB Refresher Tool
- Download, Install and run QB Refresher Tool
- Click on Fix my QuickBooks Desktop Doesn’t Start
- Refreshing the backend processes is a tedious task that may be causing this issue to you.
- Click OK and then restart QuickBooks Desktop.
Solution 5: Suppress QuickBooks Desktop
As QuickBooks desktop does not start, you need to suppress QuickBooks desktop.
· Press the CTRL key and make a double click on QuickBooks desktop icon
· Don't release the Ctrl key until QuickBooks is open on your computer. You may see a "No Company Open" window, as shown in the below image.
· Select your company files and click Open
Solution 6: Restart your Computer
In order to clear the backend process, you have to reboot your computer and afterward open QuickBooks.
- Click on your computer Start key.
- After that, click on the power key icon and select Restart
Solution 7: Re-register QB related components in Windows
1. Check if QuickBooks desktop is already registered:
· Open QuickBooks, press f2 on your keyboard. The product information window opens.
· Check for the registration status of QuickBooks at the right of the license number.
· If you are registered prior, it will display Registered. Then you are all set to go.
2. But if you notice that QuickBooks is unregistered:
· Click OK on the screen to close the product information window.
· Click on the Help Option and choose "Activate QuickBooks."
· Now follow the instructions displayed on the screen to verify your information and complete the activation process.
Solution 8: Download and Install QuickBooks Tools Hub
QuickBooks Diagnostic tool is a very crucial tool that downloads and fixes issues freely with the assistance of Microsoft components used in QB.
· Download QuickBooks Tools Hub and go to the downloads by pressing CTRL+J
· In the downloads list, click on QuickBooksToolsHub.exe.
· Select yes, if you want this app to alter the changes.
· Now, click on Next to install it. Click again on Yes to accept the license agreement.
· After that, click on Next and then install. It might take some time.
· Once the installation process has been completed, click on “Finish” to proceed.
· Open the QuickBooks Tool Hub (Icon will be available on your desktop)
· Go to the Installation Issues tab and click on the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
· It may take some time to configure.
· Once the configuration process is completed, click on “Yes” to accept the license agreement.
· Click on “Proceed” to start repairs on your QuickBooks desktop components.
· Once done, restart your computer.
Solution 9: Repair your QuickBooks Desktop
· Press Windows+R key from the keyboard and a Run box will pop out
· Now, enter “Control Panel” into the Run Box and Click OK
· Choose Programs > Programs and Features
· Select QuickBooks from the list
· Click on Uninstall/Change and Yes
· Click Next
· Choose Repair and click next
· Click Repair
· However, to repair your QuickBooks Desktop this process may be a bit time consuming.
Also Read: - QuickBooks File Doctor
Solution 10: Uninstall and Reinstall QuickBooks
- On your keyboard, press Windows+R keys to open the Run
- Type in Control panel and click OK.
- Click Uninstall program
- In the programs list displayed on your system, choose QuickBooks and click uninstall/ change
- Rename the QuickBooks desktop folder
I.You also have the option to access the QB Clean Install Tool to rename the folders for you.
II.If you do not want to run this tool, you can manually rename the QuickBooks installation folders.
Solution 11: Open the company files from a different folder location
Sometimes, when you store your company files, it is corrupted. Here is how to fix that:
- Press Window+E keys on your keyboard.
- Look for the data file that will have a .qbw extension. When you look for a file that is located on a network server, browse to the network drive on which the data is located.
- Right-click on the file and press copy
- Place the C: drive and create a new folder
- Name that folder as QBTEST.
- Open the new folder and paste the company file there.
- Now, open QB and hold the CTRL key along.
- Press open, or you might restore an existing company and examine the C:\QBTEST folder that you built.
- Open the copied company’s file in the QBTEST folder.
Summing It Up
“QuickBooks Desktop doesn't start” error can be annoying for many users as their work is interrupted. However, you may correct the issue by following the above troubleshooting methods on your own, and it might work wonders for you. If the Error continues or your query remains unsolved by any chance, then you must take the assistance of a QuickBooks Expert +1-877-349-3776 to clear all your clouds of confusion because waiting for longer may only lead to wastage of time and will not yield any profit.
Created on Oct 30th 2020 02:10. Viewed 288 times.