How can parents prepare teens for eating disorder treatment?by Ellern Mede Eating Disorder Treatment
If you doubt that eating disorders are serious illnesses, watch the popular but controversial Netflix film, To The Bone. It follows the story of a 20-year-old woman as she battles through anorexia, which leaves a pretty horrifying impact on her overall condition. You might blame the film for creating further hype around the issue, and blame the media in general for promoting an unhealthy image of what the ideal body must look like; however, controversy sparks the much-needed conversation, thus spreading awareness.
If your child is diagnosed with or suspected to have, an eating disorder now is the time to prepare them for the care they need.
Talk to them
Anger and impatience are two big mistakes parents often commit while talking to their sons or daughters. So, the first and foremost tip for you is to stay calm and not resort to aggression. It might be equally difficult for your child, but they have to accept that recovery is essential. Listen to them and help them face their fears or insecurities. It's just the illness disturbing their relationship with you – be considerate.
Support your Child
How? Here's what you can do:
- If your child is already being treated with a private eating disorder clinic, the medical team will play a crucial role during the recovery phase. But your support is equally important.
- There's a pool of information about eating disorders both on the internet and offline –read about it but choose recognized professional sites such as BEAT, NEDA, ReThink or Young Minds and trust the advice of the professionals treating your family.
- Regardless of the situation, stay affectionate and supportive.
- Be a good role model for your child - they adapt to your actions first.
- Teen eating disorder treatment will require a lot of effort - be prepared for it and help your child too.
- You can even ask the practitioner to recommend you some support groups, where you and your child can find additional help or other teens going through a similar phase.
Because teen eating disorder treatment is a vital process – you should choose the best clinic near you. Speak to the healthcare provider at the clinic and get their advice on what you can do to help your child at home and in general.
Created on Feb 24th 2020 05:43. Viewed 226 times.