Articles

Everything You Need To Know About London Underground

by Shruti Sharma Content Curator

The London Underground is the city’s sprawling public transport system. Nicknamed the Tube, the London Underground also connects the city to the neighbouring counties of Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire. The system was opened in 1863 and today is one of the busiest metro systems in the world. The city is also home to many high-quality business hotels London which are located relatively close to many of the London Underground stations. Meanwhile, here are some facts about this amazing transport system that you need to know.

 

1.         Though the system is named the London Underground, but only 45 percent of it actually runs below the surface. The remaining 55 percent operates above the surface and provides the commuters with amazing views of the city’s amazing buildings and green spaces.

 

2. The London Underground is a busy network catering to more than 5 million passengers on a daily basis. 

 

3. With a little more than 400 kilometres of track and some 270 stations, the London Underground is massive. Currently, it is listed as the world’s fourth longest system.

 

4. The London Underground runs at an average speed of around 20 miles per hour; however, trains operating on the Metropolitan Line can attain a maximum speed of around 60 miles per hour, which is quite fast.

 

5. Though the network extensively covers the city; however, the London Underground does not reach out to most of the ares in the southern part of the city. Of the 270 stations, under 10 percent are situated in this region.

 

6. The London Underground is the first in the world to introduce the contactless card payments. This highly efficient service was introduced in 2014 and has made life easier for the commuter.

 

7. The London Underground has a whopping 426 escalators. The staircase at Angel goes up to 200 feet making it the longest escalator on the Tube. Meanwhile, with a height of just 13 feet, the escalator at Stratford is the shortest.

 

8. The London Underground has extensively featured in Hollywood blockbusters, music and literature. You can catch glimpses of the London Underground in movies like An American Werewolf in London, Die Another Day, Skyfall, Sliding Doors and many others.

 

So, if you are a tourists and staying at one of the hotels near London Bridge, you must check out the London Underground. It will surely be a wonderful experience.


Sponsor Ads


About Shruti Sharma Innovator   Content Curator

7 connections, 0 recommendations, 57 honor points.
Joined APSense since, November 29th, 2017, From Delhi, India.

Created on Sep 30th 2019 02:09. Viewed 212 times.

Comments

No comment, be the first to comment.
Please sign in before you comment.