Basics of Breast Augmentation: Know Them Before You Say ‘Yes’by Sarah Morris Consultant
Breast augmentation or mammoplasty is a cosmetic surgery meant to improve shape, fullness, and size of breasts. You could have saline or silicone implants beneath your breast tissue or chest muscles to enhance your appearance. The implants generally last 7-12 years, as per an average estimate.
Purposes of breast augmentation surgery
- To enlarge small breasts
- To restore shape and size of breasts that may sag after childbirth, breastfeeding, or weight loss.
- To provide symmetry to asymmetrical breasts
- To restore a breast or both breasts that may have been removed during mastectomy.
Surgery for augmentation of breast in Maryland is done through competent, board-certified surgeons that are skilled in this procedure.
Just like breast implants are available in various types, patients have choices in incision too. However, it’s not like you choose what you like. The choice depends on various factors like your body structure, breast condition, how much bigger you want them, type of implant you are using, and, lastly, personal preference. Yet, in matters like these, it’s best to take advice from surgeon.
Incisions options possible are:
- Periareolar incision: This is done around the nipple.
- Inframammary incision: This is done at the crease just beneath the breast.
- Transaxillary incision: This is done at the armpit.
Placement of implants
The surgeon inserts implants by creating a pocket. Placement of implants are done in two ways:
- Submammary/subglandular placement: The surgeon places the implants behind your breast tissue above the pectoral muscle.
- Submuscular placement: The surgeon places the implant under your pectoral muscle. This type of placement takes longer to heal and you may experience more pain after the surgery.
The surgeon uses skin adhesives, stitches, and surgical tape to close the incision. The incision lines are visible initially. They fade away as time passes.
You might feel some swelling, which will go away within a couple of weeks. Then, you will see the miraculous results of the procedure.
Surgery for augmentation of breast in Maryland is done with utmost precision and expertise.
Life after breast augmentation
Patients are put under general anesthesia. That’s why it’s important to arrange for somebody to drive you home and care for you at home for a couple of days.
If you have dissolvable or absorbable sutures, they would disappear in about 6 weeks.
If you have non-dissolvable sutures and if the surgeon has placed drainage tubes near your breasts, you need a follow-up visit to remove the sutures and the tubes.
Your surgeon will inform you about:
- Caring for your breasts after the implant surgery
- Taking the prescribed medications
- Follow-up visit
- Abnormal conditions in which you must call the doctor immediately
Call the doctor immediately if:
- You develop fever or experience redness or warmth at the breast area. This is a sign of infection.
- You experience chest pain, shortness of breath, or unusual heart beats.
Please do not perform any strenuous physical activity for 5-6 weeks after the procedure.
Chest implants for males are also available. You must discuss with your surgeon whether you are a candidate for implant surgery. Any male or female undergoing implant surgery must ensure they are in the hands of a skilled surgeon.
Created on Dec 8th 2020 05:55. Viewed 174 times.
No comment, be the first to comment.