7 Question That Every Patients Should Know About Pacemaker Implantation Surgery In Indiaby Rachel Smith India Cardiac Surgery Site Consultants Pvt. Ltd.
What is a Pacemaker?
A pacemaker is an electrically charged medical device that is implanted under the skin to help manage Cardiac arrhythmias i.e. irregular heartbeats. It uses electrical impulses to prompt and maintain regular heartbeats.
A pacemaker has two main components that include:
- A pulse generator with battery and electronics to control heartbeat whereas the second one has one or more small wires
- Leads e. small wires that emerge from the pulse generator to send electrical signals to the heart.
Pacemakers are usually implanted depending on specific heart problem to regularize heartbeats i.e. arrhythmias can be
- Single-Chamber Pacemaker
- Dual-Chamber Pacemaker
- Biventricular Pacemaker
A biventricular pacemaker is meant to treat patients with severe heart failure and abnormal electrical systems.
Why do I need a pacemaker?
You will need a pacemaker if your heart is beating in an irregular manner that may be either too slow (Bradycardia) or quickly (Tachycardia).
In conditions, your body tissues and vital organs do not get enough blood supply due to inadequate blood pumping by ventricles and you may experience:
- Fainting or Lightheadedness
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Damage to vital organs
- Eventual death
You may also need a pacemaker if you have a block in your electrical pathways of heart or you have certain types of congenital heart disease.
You may be recommended a temporary pacemaker after a heart attack or heart surgery.
How do I prepare for a pacemaker?
Prior to pacemaker surgery, you need to undergo several tests to determine the suitability of pacemaker for you.
These tests include:
- Holter monitoring
- Stress Test
While preparing to receive a pacemaker, you will also be required:
- Not to drink or eat anything at least 8 hours prior to pacemaker surgery; including chewing gum and breath mints.
- To stop taking medicines
- Take medicines before surgery, as prescribed by your doctor
- Maintain personal hygiene by taking a good shower with special soap to minimize the chances of developing any serious infection
How is pacemaker surgery performed?
A pacemaker is implanted under the skin beneath the collar bone. A sedative is administered to help the patient relax while remaining awake during the procedure.
Usually, a small incision is given on the left side of the chest below collar bone where the pacemaker generator device is placed under the skin. Doctor using live x-rays images, inserts leads through the incision into a vein and guide them into the heart. Leads are connected to the pulse generator and incision is closed with stitches.
What are the complications associated with a pacemaker?
Pacemaker implantation procedure in India is performed by highly skilled doctors with utmost care yet following complications associated with pacemaker surgery may appear:
- Abnormal heart rhythms
- Infection at the incision site
- Damaged nerves or blood vessels
- Punctured or collapsed lung – extremely rare
- Puncture of the heart – rare
- An allergic reaction to anesthesia
What happens after pacemaker surgery?
After re-assuring functioning of a pacemaker, most patients are allowed to go home same or second day after Pacemaker Implantation in India
Patients generally asked to come for a routine check-up and avoid:
- Rigorous physical activities
- Keeping a cell phone or MP3 player in the pocket over the pacemaker
- Working or standing for too long near appliances like microwaves and High-voltage transformers
- Over exposures to metal detectors
- Certain medical procedures like MRI, CT scans, radiation treatment, electrocautery to control bleeding during surgery and shock wave lithotripsy
Why international patients choose India?
International patients choose India for pacemaker implantation surgery as India has:
- Highly qualified and experienced cardiac surgeons
- World-class hospitals equipped with the latest technology
- Use of the latest surgical procedures
- Impeccable pre and post-operative care by doctors and nursing staff
- Priority appointment
- No waiting list
- Easy access to surgeons
- Ease of obtaining the visa
- World-class hotel and travel arrangements
- No language problem
Above all, pacemaker implantation surgery cost in India is much lower than in other countries and hence highly affordable.
Get Free Consultation For Pacemaker Implantation Procedure In India At Affordable Cost You Can Send Your Medical Reports Through
Email Us:- email@example.com
Contact Us:- +91-9370586696
Created on Feb 20th 2020 06:46. Viewed 494 times.