Natural Ayurvedic treatment for ulcerative colitisby Dr Vikram Chauhan Doctor
Ulcerative Colitis :
Ulcerative colitis is one among the two main Inflammatory Bowel Diseases. Ulcerative Colitis is a chronic inflammation and ulceration of the large intestine (colon). It is seen mostly among the age group between 15-25 years, even this can occur at any age. Both the genders are equally affected. This is seen commonly in urban areas than in rural. In chronic condition, the inflammation in the lining of rectum extends up to the colon. Numerous tiny ulcers develop in the lining, resulting blood and pus with stool. Extensively inflamed lining produces extra mucus which is passed during defecation. There is difference between IBS and ulcerative colitis, as there is no bleeding or inflammation seen in IBS.
Symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis are:
Frequent loose stools with blood and mucous
Abdominal pain and cramps
Extensive weight loss
Loss of body fluids
Inflammation of eyes
Consider for a checkup for ulcerative colitis if symptoms like diarrhea, fresh bleeding and abdominal cramps with tenderness in abdomen are seen at the same time.
Causative factors :
Although the accurate cause of ulcerative colitis is not known but we can consider these factors which contributes to Ulcerative colitis
1) Environmental factors such as stress, diet change in season, infection due to Virus and bacteria, frequent use of antibiotics and food allergies.
2) Genetic factors
3) Auto immune factors
Investigation includes :
• Blood test (CBC, serum electrolytes,ESR,CRP, LFT, Vitamin B12 )
• Stool tests for occult blood
• X ray – Plain Xray, contrast Xray
• Barium enema
• CT Enterography
• MR Enterography
• MRI of Pelvis
• Sigmoidoscopy - to Examine lower third of the colon and rectum
• Colonoscopy- to examine entire colon and end of the small intestine
Types of Ulcerative colitis:
Depending upon the symptoms and severity of inflammation in colon, Ulcerative colitis is of following types-
1) Proctitis – the colon is not affected. Only the rectum is inflamed in this condition. The symptoms are mild. Pain, irritation in anal region, Fresh Bleeding mixed with mucous is seen while passing loose stools.
2) Proctosigmoiditis- the sigmoid colon and rectum are affected.
3) Distal or Left-sided Colitis- the inflammation reaches up from rectum to the colon (sigmoid and descending colon). Weight loss, loss of appetite is seen along with above mentioned symptoms.
4) Extensive and Pan-colitis or Total Colitis - symptoms seen in the patients includes passing of watery stool very frequently, cramps, severe abdominal pain, tenderness in abdomen, high fever and sudden weight loss. This requires urgent treatment as complications can arise with it.
According to Ayurveda, Ulcerative colitis is related to Purishavaha srotas( large intestine, rectum). It can be related to ‘Pittaja Grahani’ or ‘Rakataja Ghrani’ . The factors responsible for unbalancing ‘Pitta’ are responsible for developing Ulcerative Colitis. Excessive heat, exposure of the sun, alcohol, smoking, too much mental activity, omitting meals, taking spicy, sour, salty foods aggravates pitta . Persons having Pitta constitution, Pitta gets vitated very fast with the above mentioned factors, resulting development of diarrhea followed by blood and mucous in diarrhea.
The herbs which pacifies pitta, grahi (binding in nature) , stambhana (anti-diarrheal), vranashodhana-ropana (disinfects and heals wounds) are beneficial in natural treatment for ulcerative colitis.
Some herbs are Aegle marmalos, Coriandrum sativum, Cyprus rotundus, Vitex negundo, Boswellia serrata, Tinospora cordifolia, Bombax malabaricum. And mineral preparations like praval pishti, kamdudha ras, mukta pishti, akik pishti are some effective ayurvedic treatment for ulcerative colitis.
Diet recommended :
Low fiber diet
Low fat diet
Lactose free diet, limit milk products
Salt restricted diet
Eat small meals at frequent intervals
Avoid carbonates drinks, spicy foods, nuts, corn, popcorns, caffeinated products,
Ulcerative care pack benefits :
Stop the bleeding.
Repairs the inner lining of intestine
Reduces the inflammation of intestine.
Improves the digestion.
Improves consistency of stool
Frequency improves later on with regular intake of medicine
Urgency to go to toilet reduces
Improves energy level by increasing haemoglobin
Read more here at : http://www.krishnaherbals.com/colitis.html
Created on Dec 31st 1969 18:00. Viewed 0 times.
No comment, be the first to comment.