The Right Way To Do Directory Submissionby Eric Smith Online Professional
Before we learn the right way to directory submission, it is important to know the definition of a web directory.
A Web directory is defined as an organized, categorized listings of web sites. In other words it is a collection of websites that are organized by subject or category. One distinct characteristic of a web directory is that it is usually maintained by humans instead of software like in the case of search engines.
The visitor to the web site can scroll down the categories and sub categories to locate the information they are seeking. Web directories are essentially much smaller than search engines' databases as humans and not search engine spiders organize them. Some try to overcome this shortcoming by partnering with major search engines.
As human editors review the websites, only top quality and relevant websites get included in the web directories. At least this was the thinking with the initial human edited web directories. The top web directories include Yahoo Directory, DMOZ directory, Looksmart, Gimpsy, GoGuides.org, JoeAnt, Hotrate, Wherewithal/Xoron and Zeal.
Directory Submissions - How to get listed on web directories?
There are two ways for sites to be included in a Web directory's listings.
1. The site owner submit the site URL to the Web directory which is reviewed and then included under the relevant category or
2. The directory's editor will eventually come across that site.
Here are some guidelines to effective directory submission:
1. Before you even start submitting your websites to the directories check your website. Is every part of the website complete in every respect. Are all the links on the different pages working? Optimize your website for required keywords and keyword phrases. Keep it two or maximum three keywords. This is important as human editors will not be as forgiving as automatic spiders and will simply reject under construction or incomplete websites.
2. Keep multiple titles, descriptions, keywords and website URL ready before starting your submission. Include keywords, phrases in title, and description for added relevancy. But don't make it look like a string of keywords or something that is taken from the Meta description. Remember the web directories are human edited. So, include imaginative, descriptive and catchy titles and description that grab and hold attention of a human editor. Else, the editor may change the description, which may not be to your liking at all.
3. When submitting your website ensure that you submit in the most relevant category. When not sure do a search with your keywords. You will be presented with relevant results and categories where they are listed. Select the most appropriate category for your website. One more method is to find the categories where your competitors are listed and choose that category.
4. If asked submit a short list of single keywords separated by a space or comma. Do not submit your whole list of keywords. They will not be accepted. Submit the most useful and most relevant keywords.
The above steps if followed properly during your directory submission process should ensure your website's acceptance in most of the top web directories.
Article Source: http://www.lifestyle-information-services.com/Article/The-Right-Way-To-Do-Directory-Submission/1778
Created on Dec 31st 1969 18:00. Viewed 0 times.
No comment, be the first to comment.