Which one has better future: Development or Test Automation?by Riley Claire Senior Software Test Engineer
There is a lot of scope in both the software development and test automation domain. Of these two highly efficient platforms, if one needs to be decided that may have a better future than the other can prove to be quite tricky. The reason being the corporate world, especially dealing with IT projects has seen a tremendous shift in the way businesses, projects and technologies work. Today, there are a plethora of technologies available through which a software development project can be easily completed. To test the product or application, the powerful platform of test automation is used, so that a bug-free and fully functional product can be delivered. In this example, you will get to know the pros and cons of both software development and test automation, which, in turn, helps you to decide as to which one is better.
Following is a comparative study of software development and test automation:
1. Software development:
· A Broader scope of work: The software that is being developed reaches a vast audience, who will eventually use it based on their needs. On the contrary, work related to test automation can only be allotted to the assigned members of an organization.
· The value is directly linked with experience: There are a huge lot of jobs all around the globe for experienced software developers with some of the best pay packages. You only have to struggle till you get a decent amount of experience.
· It can be stressful: Developing software from scratch is not an easy task. You need to have an in-depth practical knowledge of certain specific technologies along with excellent logical skills. You will have to use your skills time and again and stretch them at times to obtain feasible results. A developer needs to work under a tight timeframe as there is constant pressure to deliver.
It is difficult
to get an entry-level job: There are many organizations that look out for
experienced developers as they do not have to train them again on specific
aspects of technology and project development. The times have changed, and now
the situation is such that many organizations are coming forward and recruiting
freshers, provided they have a decent academic track record coupled with good
programming and analytical skills.
2. Test Automation:
· Continual work: There is generally a notion that once specific testing activities are automated, then there is no more work to do. But, that’s not the case as the specific testing activity that is being automated will be growing/changing constantly. This means the test automation engineer needs to work on a continual basis and thus monitor and track the progress of automation activities regularly.
· Huge demand: The current era of technological advancement is witnessing a steady ongoing demand for software testing. Test automation is a prominent and highly productive component of software testing. With the inclusion of agile, test automation is gaining even more popularity and thus the demand is increasing.
· Insecurity about job security: Test automation is a highly sophisticated job that has its own unique value and rewards. But, unlike, software development where there is a constant demand for developing software products or applications, test automation platforms can only be used in certain projects and that too depending upon the project scope, budget constraints and expertise.
It is a
thankless job: if you are performing test automation activities seamlessly,
then issues are being detected and fixed at the earliest with greater accuracy.
Automation testing is important, but, there is not much appreciation involved in
it. Finally, whatever the scenario, if the project needs the implementation of
test automation, then it better needs to be implemented in a planned manner and
thus expect optimal testing results.
Conclusion: If you are looking forward to implementing software testing for your project, then do get connected with a top-notch software testing services company that will provide you with a comprehensive testing roadmap that is precisely in line with your project specific requirements.
Created on May 12th 2022 01:59. Viewed 161 times.