What is Social Media?by Harsh Verma play the game
What is Social Media?
Social media is the latest way of communication. It enables a person to communicate with the rest of the world and to share his/her thoughts, ideas, dreams and interests. Nowadays Social media is being used for both informal and formal communication. Social media platforms are used online through internet. It has become the easiest way of communication. One can chat, comment, post videos and photos, upload status, etc. Social media has changed the traditional way of communication as it has made the world a small place because now through Social media one can get in touch with other person very easily no matter how far the person is living. Some most popular Social media platforms are Facebook, snapchat, instagram, youtube, tumblr, telegram, reddit ,baidutieba, linkedIn, pinterest, etc. Social media also have its own impacts on the youth as well as the other section of the society.
Social Media has become the virtual identity of a person.
There is no doubt that Social media has given a new virtual identity to each and every user. Many people have become popular with the help of social media platforms. And social media has helped many people to make a new and unique identity. But nowdays social media has influenced a major portion of the world’s population. A person is identified by his/her social media profiles. Many people are not recognized by the society if he/she does not have a profile on social media. Social media helps a person to reconnect with his/her old friends by just tying their name in the search bar. Social media comprise of all the section of the society which includes old, young, kids.
BOON (Positive impacts of Social Media on the youth).
There are many positive impacts of social media on the youth. Some of them are as follows:
- Social media helps the Education system as students are able to attend virtual classes if they cannot attend classes in the institutes. It also helps teacher to provide information to the students regarding the important notice. With the help of social media grades a increased and absenteeism in reduced. Moreover students are able to get useful resources for information on internet.
- Social media plays an important aspect for many organizations because they can use the social media platform for advertising their products and services online. They advertise their products and services by running advertisement and campaigns on the websites. The main objective of organization to use the social platform is to aware the society about their products and services
- These platforms are also used by the government in order to spread awareness among the people about the new additions in the schemes and manifesto of the ruling government. Moreover they use social media platform to inform the people about the benefits they are going to provide in the upcoming events.
- Social media platforms also helps in increasing job opportunities as it provides information to the society about the new additions, vacancies that are available for them. It has already created thousands of jobs.
- it is proven that social media platforms are the leading platforms in making awareness among the people about everything.
BONE (Negative impacts of Social Media on youth)
Some of the research shows that social media has a Negative impact on the youth as it gives rise in symptoms of anxiety, depression, and eating disorders. There are many more /negative impacts of Social media on the youth which are as follows:
- Due to the use of internet and Social media platforms in the education system students have started misusing it in order to get good marks. They use the help of internet to complete their assignments and homework. They also use internet while giving online examination which is not allowed even then they get access to cheat in the online examination. The research shows that student who opt online examination get 20% less marks in the offline examinations. The main reason behind this gap is that in online examination the students use unfair means to complete the examination.
- Our youth is very much engaged in these social media sites but they don’t know that there personal information is also visible to the strangers who can easily misuse their personal details in any criminal activity. The research shoes that most of the social media profiles are unsecured and most of the online crime is done through the profiles of other innocent users. Moreover these platforms consist of many fake profiles which are engaged in unethical activities.
- These platform have many negative impact on the youth one of them is cyber bullying. Cyber bullying is associated with depression, anxiety, and an elevated risk of suicidal thoughts. Most of the teenager girls have faced these unethical activities on social media platforms. The hackers use the profiles of innocent teenage girls and misuse it for unethical activities.
- Concentrating on likes and dislikes: The need to pick up "likes" via web-based networking media can make adolescents settle on decisions they would somehow not make, including changing their appearance, taking part in negative practices, and tolerating unsafe web based life challenges.
- Advertisements on these social media platforms lead to misinformation. Many advertisements on Facebook and instagram are false, many of them are generated to spread rumours. The research shows that 49% advertisements are fake.
So the information given above proves that there are both boon and bane impacts of social media on the youth. From the above information we get to the conclusion that social media is the best way of communication in the 21st century but it is only helpful if it used for an ethical purpose otherwise it is a harmful platform. There are many drawbacks of social media because an unethical user can get access to a lot of information which he/she can use for criminal or unethical activities. Moreover use of these social media platform for a long period is harmful as it causes mental illnesses like anxiety, depression and eating disorder.
(SEO Executive at Cite Web solutions)
Created on Nov 2nd 2019 03:24. Viewed 358 times.