What is phishing? How can it be prevented?by Martina Laura I love to learn about technology which has led me
Fishing is defined as the cyber crime where the cyber crooks attack the personal information of the user. They do not get hands on the data directly but upload hide under the name of any authenticated product or website. They ask emails, passwords, credit card details, and what not just by sending a verification email or redirecting the customer to a malicious website.
Once leaked, the information can be used for entering into other systems, rob you of money, use the account for further criminal activities etc.
Phishing email can be as legitimate as that of banks, government, shopping websites etc. They ask for validation or threaten your account to be under threat. Thus, giving them a way to unlock the barriers and steal whatever they want.
How to recognize and remove a phishing scam?
No authenticated company or bank would ask you to give away your credentials for the sake of protection but always inform you to not share the password in any case. Anyone planning a phishing scan will send an email or message asking to validate your personal information along with ids and passwords. They may also redirect you to other websites where they can log your activities.
In order to prevent from such emails, one may download computer security software programs that can differentiate between an authenticated or a con email. Phishing malware lures the customer which cannot be removed yet it can be detected. Software programs like Advance PC Protector help in detecting such emails and block the redirection to the malicious websites.
How to prevent phishing?
Here are a few ways that can be helpful in preventing phishing,
• Use mail spam detectors. These detect the source of the email and studies its structure. If the email is found with spamming words or an illegitimate source then email is sent to the junk box or deleted automatically.
• The settings of the browsers must prevent the fraudulent websites from getting open or if someone tries to access such websites then an alert message must show or entry must be denied. Such a setting will eliminate half of the malicious activities trying to make their way into your system. You may also use any pc security software to have a secure browsing experience.
• All the banks and financial organizations monitor the phishing activity. In case you have received any such doubtful message, inform your bank and confirm the email content.
• If you have received a link on an email asking you to validate your information then look for a security sign. If it has https marked then the site is secured or else it will be a trap.
• While browsing does not click on any link or download anything from the third party because it can lead to a deeper penetration into your system and information.
• When a website requires a login information to be entered while displaying an image, chances are that it could be malicious or trying to steal your information. However, if there is a captcha then the website can be considered secure.
Do not believe whatever you see on the screen. Do the thorough research before taking any further step.
Created on Sep 20th 2018 03:38. Viewed 102 times.