Significance of Gantry Robot Systems and Key Differences From 6-Axis Robot Solutionby Advanced Motion Systems Perfection in Automation and Vision
In today’s world of motion control, the importance of automation and robots in the manufacturing industry is growing. The industrial robots have replaced human beings across wide variety of industries. Robots outperform humans in terms of jobs that require precision, speed, endurance and reliability. Robots can safely perform tedious jobs. The traditional manufacturing robotic applications include the material handling tasks, assembling, painting and testing. The industrial robots are widely being used in diverse range of industries that include automotive, electronics, medical, food production, biotech, pharmaceutical and machinery.
In the industrial automation, the gantries and 6-Axis robots are extensively being used and have found various applications. Here we can discuss about six points where both technologies are at play: -
- Conveyor Tracking: To perform an action there is need to match speed of product on the conveyor.
- Material Deposition: You can use them for gluing apps and 3D printing
- Both gantry and articulated arm robots are widely being used throughout industry for high speed automation. There are many inherent advantages of the gantry robot, so it is rapidly becoming the preferred choice.
- Palletizing: To stack and organize products in an arranged fashion.
- Sorting: To sort product bins with an integrated vision.
- Pick and Place: The traditional application involves picking the product off a conveyor or storage area and then place it in an organized manner.
Let us discuss here top six advantages of a gantry system vs 6-axis robot solution
The gantry system has various benefits over the 6-Axis robotic solution, and it would be wise enough to consider going for a gantry solution in many instances.
- Its Cost-Effective
A gantry Solution is lower in cost if you want to evaluate the cost per square foot that is within the work envelope. Once, the tasks that are to be conducted within the work envelope grow, the gantry robot’s cost also increases.
- Less Floor space
People believe that it does not make sense, but the reality is that gantry should not occupy much of the floor space. This takes up less floor space and has an efficient work envelope than the traditional 6-Axis robotic solution. The 6-Axis robot arm must be guarded and has unused floor space that a gantry can utilize where the robot guarding would have to be placed.
A 6-Axis arm can be wall mounted or suspended upside down over the work envelope, but it must be placed further away from the work envelope so that it may be able to achieve its entire flexibility without jack-knifing its joints.
- Infinitely Configurable Work Envelope
- Should be configured on each axis with an infinite amount of iterations of travel
- Should have done a certain max level of travel
- This can be done on any axis making the 3D work envelope virtually limitless.
The gantry is quite stable hence it can achieve higher payload at a lower cost.
- Predefined Kinematics Engines
The 6-Axis robot programmers have this idea that it is easy to program a robot than a gantry robot. However, this argument does not hold much of importance as many newer machine controllers have robotic mechanical configurations.
- Its value for Money
The OEM customers who wish to keep their material costs minimum use gantry robot systems on their machine. The traditional end user customers may perceive the OEMs machines as a more complicated and expensive solution, while Gantry Robot System bring a sense of value.
Created on May 16th 2018 10:02. Viewed 221 times.
No comment, be the first to comment.