Mother’s Day 2022 | Mother’s Day 2022 Date, Best Gifts, & its Significanceby Successisdecision Blog Success is decision
Do you want to know when it started and why we celebrate Mother's Day? Tell the children the origin of this celebration by SUCCESSISDECISION
The oldest celebration of Mother's Day is mythological. It began in ancient Greece with celebrations honoring Rhea, mother of the gods Jupiter, Neptune and Pluto.
At the beginning of the 17th century, England began dedicating the fourth Sunday of Lent to all working mothers. On that day they were given time off work to stay at home with their children and their mothers. On this day, which was called "Sunday in the service of the mother", it was celebrated with the preparation of a cake.
The true story of Mother's Day
In the United States, the first proposal to introduce Mother's Day came in the 19th century when the writer Julia Ward Howe organized a peace-related gathering of mothers in Boston. From there, in the early 20th century, in a small town in the state of West Virginia, the fight for the honor of Anna Jarvis' mothers began.
Accompanied by a group of friends, Anna started a movement to establish a day for all children to honor their mothers.
This struggle helped her emerge from a deep depression caused by the death of her mother, and in a short time the celebration spread across the country, leading to President Wilson proclaiming Mother's Day an official national holiday, observed on the second Sunday of each year becomes of the month of May.
AS time passes many countries started celebrating mother’s day. The main idea of Anna Javis was to strengthen family ties and respect for parents. A dream come true.
He died in 1948 at the age of 84. For years she received commemorative cards from all over the world, but she never felt the feeling of being a mother.
Mother's Day celebration in other countries
And now we tell you a curiosity that not everyone knows: not all countries celebrate Mother's Day on the same day:
- In most parts of Europe, mothers are honored on the first Sunday of May, although in some others it coincides with Working Women's Day.
- In Latin American countries, the date also varies:
• In Mexico, for example, it is May 10th. The Mexicans determined this date thanks to the request of the journalist Rafael Alducín in the newspaper "Excélsior" on April 13, 1922. On May 10 of that year the festival was celebrated for the first time.
• It is celebrated on the second Sunday of May in Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, Chile, Ecuador, Honduras and Puerto Rico.
• In Argentina it is celebrated on the third Sunday of October. But the most important thing is not the date, but the recognition and reminder of the worth of all mothers.
• In Nicaragua, to cite another case, May 30 was chosen because that date was the birthday of Casimira Sacasa, the mother of the wife of Anastasio Somoza, then president of that country in the 1940s.
• In Bolivia it is celebrated on May 27th.
• In Costa Rica, August 15 commemorates the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, which is the best example of motherhood for Catholics. It is a public holiday across the country and a non-working day by law.
• In Panama it is celebrated on December 8th, the day of the Immaculate Conception.
In the United States, Mother's Day is celebrated every year on the second Sunday of May, this day is celebrated thanks to two women, one of them Julia Ward Howe, writer and author of the Republican Anthem. In 1872 she began holding meetings to celebrate Mother's Day in Boston, where she lived. And the other influence is Ann Marie Reeves Jarvis, a homemaker who founded the International Mother's Day Association in 1905.
Gift ideas for mothers of all kinds
Affection for a mother or family member or friend should not only be shown on this date, we must try to do it with small gestures every day of the year. But since we want this occasion to be something special. She only wants success of her children.
You can plan a surprise party, movie planning, shopping, etc.
Created on Apr 14th 2022 09:56. Viewed 258 times.