Metal Roof vs Asphalt Shingles: Pros & Consby Carolyn Lynch Roof Crafters Local Trusted Roofer
We know you will be feeling overwhelmed when it comes to installing a new roof as the number of options available in the market. Asphalt shingle roofing is one of the most dominant choices for residential homes for a long time; however, metal roofs are replacing them.
Metal roofs, panels and shingles come in different shapes and styles, such as tile, wood, slate and even asphalt which make it difficult to choose what is best for the home. Keep on reading, the below-given information will help you understand the pros and cons of both kinds of roofings.
Is a Metal Roof Better Than Asphalt Shingles?
Both the materials are great for roofing options for residential homes. They will protect your home and could last for years easily. However, you can only choose one depending on the budget and your needs.
When metals roofs are compared with asphalt shingles, it is obvious that asphalt shingles are more affordable. However, metal roofing can last twice as long and is more energy-efficient so it is also one of the preferences that people tend to adopt.
Asphalt shingles are available in various colours and textures and are the most popular roofing material. The standard three-tab shingles are most commonly used in asphalt shingles. A matting or fibreglass core, asphalt coating, stone or ceramic surface all can make a durable shingle.
However, metal roofing is lightweight, durable and energy-efficient. It has a bit high price as compared to asphalt shingles. Let’s have a look at the pros and cons of both materials.
Pros & Cons: Metal Roof vs. Asphalt Shingles
Pros of Asphalt Shingles
- Asphalt shingles are considered one of the most appealing roofing options available in the market.
- They offer colour and texture in different options, to make it easy for you to choose according to your demand.
- They are easy to work with.
- Easy to Install
- They can absorb heat which will keep your home warm in the winter season.Cons of Asphalt Shingles
- They all come in dark tones which are more prone to absorbing heat and heating the home in the summer season.
- They end up in landfills and as they contain toxic chemical materials, they are not environment friendly.
- They only last around 15 to 20 years as compared to metal roofs which is much higher.
Pros of Metal Roofing
- They come in a huge array of colours and style variations.
- They are made of up different materials which play a role in the lifespan and durability of the roofs.
- They are light which means there is less pressure on the home’s structure.
- They are energy efficient as they reflect light in the summer season and keep your home cool.
- Similarly, in the winter season, they are good insulators as they keep the home warm.
- Their usual lifespan is around 40 to 70 years.
Cons of Metal Roofing
- They have a higher price when compared to other roofing options available in the market.They require professional installation help as they require underlying plywood framing.
- They can cause cuts on the hands, this is why gloves are needed to be worn.
For all your metal roofing needs in Millington, and Memphis, TN call James Russell Roofing today at 901-250-8651
Created on Jun 30th 2021 23:14. Viewed 248 times.
No comment, be the first to comment.