Importance and Various Techniques Involved in Dredging Processby SPIN PRO Business
Dredging is a process of underwater excavation in either freshwater or shallow seas to gather and dispose of sediments. This is a process which mainly focuses on keeping waterways navigable. The technique is also used as a replenishing process for public beaches. The process is more viable to the beaches where coastal sand has been lost through erosion.
Why is dredging essential?
- During the process, clean dredging should be enhanced at all times. This is because clean dredging has a lot of benefits.
- Firstly, it encourages restoration, cleanup, and improvement of degraded or contaminated water bodies. Such water bodies include harbors, lakes, ponds, oceans, and rivers.
- The other goal of dredging through an industrial application is to ensure that the water bodies retain their original natural condition or even better. The industrial dredging application achieves this through the use of eco-friendly techniques and instruments such as geotubes.
- Dredging is important source of construction materials. For instance, gravels and sand are dredged from areas which have been licensed to provide construction materials. In addition, dredging is essential during construction of a waterway or a harbor around a sea or an ocean
- The process also involves the dredge sludge disposal of the accumulated sediments. The accumulated deposits are from lagoons and ponds. In the process, there are various interactions with aerators, liners, diffusers and even electrical cables.
Some of the dredging techniques include:
- Hydraulic dredging
- This process involves sediments removal by mixing it with water and then pumping the mixture to a staging area or dewatering lay-down.
- A hydraulic dredger has a ladder, hydraulic pump and a cutter head. The cutter head mixes sediments with water to form a slurry. It's the cutter head speed rate and depth which determines the amount of water and deposits in the slurry.
- Environmental Dredging
- There are billions of cubic meters of sediments which are dredged each year. The dredging projects in the waterways causes many sediment dewatering, removal and disposal challenges. Environmental dredging entails a controlled sediments removal process that is focused on reducing the effects.
- Environmental dredging involves a highly controlled removal process, and its efforts are focused on reducing clean material removal. The process ensures effective and controlled removal of contaminated residuals.
- A resourceful extraction is essential to ensure parameters optimization and balancing of all productions rates.
Reliable, robust and versatile electrical and diesel driven dredgers are recommendable for the best outcome during the dredging process.
Created on Aug 21st 2019 07:13. Viewed 190 times.
No comment, be the first to comment.