How to Unlock a Password- Protected Word Document
by Carl Smith Software Developer
MS Word provides various levels of security which you can apply on the Word document, permitting you to choose which person you wish to allow to edit or open your Word document. You can lock the Word document by adding a password and changing different security settings as per your requirements. If you wish to lock your Word document with a password, then follow the instructions mentioned below.
Steps for Locking the Word Document in Windows
• Go to the “MS Word Document.”
• Choose the “File” button which is given in the top right-hand side of the display.
• After that, choose the “Info” button by going to the left-hand side pull-down menu.
• Choose the “Protect Document” option.
• The pull-down menu will start appearing on the display which includes many options.
• After that, choose the “Encrypt with Password” option.
• Now, you have to type the password, which is necessary so that no one can open your Word document.
• Make sure that the password you are creating will be not redeemable, save that password in a safer place.
• Tap on the “Ok” button.
• You have to type the password once again. After typing the password, you have to press on the “Ok” button.
• The message will start appearing in the “Protect Document” column, and that password is needed for opening the Word document.
Steps for Locking the Word Document in macOS
• Go to the “Word document” which you like to add a password for protecting the document you had created.
• Tap on the “Review” button given next to the upper side of the Word edge.
• After that, tap on the “Protect Document” option.
• The password protects pop up box will start appearing on display, covering the MS Word document window.
• In case you need the password for opening the Word document, the type a password in the “Set a password to open this document” option.
• After entering a password, you have to write the password again for the confirmation.
• The created password will not be needed for opening and reading the Word documents contents. The document password will not be redeemable, save that password in a safer place.
• Tap on the “Ok” for locking the Word document with the password you had entered on the steps mentioned above.
Steps for Adding Restrictions to the Word Document on Windows
• Choose the “Review” button given on the upper side of the Word edge.
• Choose the “Restrict Editing” option provided in the “protect” column of the taskbar.
• The restrict editing edge will move out on the right column of the display which includes the format and edits restrictions procedure. It will permit the users to give comments, and they can track changes they had made, or create entries within the MS Word Document. You can place the limitations to the particular type of styles.
• Otherwise, you can choose particular regions of the MS Word document for permitting classified groups for editing them when it restricts the changes to the entire users.
• Choose the “X” located on the top right side of the Restrict Editing edge.
Steps for Adding Restrictions on macOS
• Tap on the “Review” option given on the upper side of the Microsoft Word interface.
• Tap on the “Protect Document” button.
• The password protects pop up box will start appearing on display, which covers the Microsoft Word interface.
• You have to add the bookmark next to the Protect document for” option located in the “Protection” column.
• You can select for restricting edits of comments, and you had tracked the changes, manage form entries, or change all the Word document to “read only” option.
• You can also add additional password needed to do these restrictions edits in case you like to.
• After that, tap on the “Ok” button.
Robert Coleman is a technology expert who loves to write blogs and articles about cybersecurity. He has been especially writing about the latest updates regarding McAfee.com/activate with an intention to develop the work experience of users across the globe. The blogs and articles he has written have been published in various popular e-magazines, blogs, and websites.
Source - https://quickproductactivate.com/how-to-unlock-a-password-protected-word-document/
Created on Apr 23rd 2019 07:52. Viewed 273 times.