How to set and change the default app on Macby Edward Lewis consultant
It depends on the type of file format. Default app that opens a file is upon the format of that file. When you double click on a file like songs, text, pictures, etc it will automatically open in an app. For example, if you would like to play a video in VLC Media Player, but always it will open in QuickTime player or any other default app. Similarly, you open a document and automatically it will open in Pages instead of Microsoft Word or another app. This is all because of default apps.
However, if you don’t want to open Songs in iTunes, emails in Mail, or links in Safari, here is how to change and set a default app on Mac.
Want to change the default app of your Mac for “.jpg, mp3, mp4, .txt, etc.’ file type? Here is how.
1. Locate to the file (image, audio, video, document, etc.) you want to change the default app.
2. Right click on the file to change its default app.
3. In the options, click ‘Get Info.’
4. Go to ‘Open with’ and expand it.
5. Click on the dropdown, to choose a default app.
6. Select an app to open the file.
7. After selecting the app, click ‘Change All…
8. At last, click on ‘Continue.’
Default app has been changed. Now, next time when you open the file, it will open in the app you’ve selected as default.
Want every time to open the links in Google Chrome, Firefox or any other browser instead of Safari? Here is how.
1. Open ‘System Preferences’ either from Dock or from Finder.
2. On System Preference window, click ‘General.’
3. Look for the “Default web browser” settings.
4. Open the dropdown box of “Default Web browser.”
5. Look for the web browser you want to use as a default browser.
6. Click on a ‘Browser’ to set it as a default.
Default web browser of your Mac has been changed. Next time when you’ll click on a link, it will open in your favorite web browser.
Mail app is the default email reader of the Mac. But if you have any other best or your favorite email reader, then you can use it as your default email reader app. Here is how to change and set a new email reader as default.
1. Open ‘Mail’ either from Dock or from Finder.
2. Click on the ‘About Mail’ at the top corner of Mail window.
3. Click ‘Preferences.’
4. Look for the “Default Mail Reader” settings.
5. Open the dropdown box of “Default Mail Reader.”
6. Select the app you want to set it as your default mail app.
After selecting a new app as default, you can view and access your email in the new email reader app. That’s it! Change the default app and open your files, images, songs, videos, documents, etc. in the app you are comfortable with.
Edward lewis is a self-professed security expert; he has been making the people aware of the security threats. His passion is to write about Cyber security, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. He writes for Norton security products at norton.com/setup
Source : app on Mac
Created on Apr 19th 2019 12:33. Viewed 45 times.