How to Install and Use Windows Apps or Games on a Linux Desktopby Aida Martin Norton Setup
Just shifted to Linux, now missing some of those Windows applications? Windows and Mac OS are the most common operating systems used. After running these OS for a few years, users want to try a new one. And, most of them prefer to go for Linux.
Migrating to Linux could be a good decision for you, but what you’ll do when you want to use several Windows apps. Possibly, you will not want to go back to Windows, because that isn’t so easy. In such situations, there are some tools, which allow you to download and use Windows software on Linux. There are WINE, Play On Linux, Winetricks, and Crossover. You can set up any one of these tools on your Linux computer to run Windows software.
Here is how to install and use Windows apps or games on a Linux desktop
Downloading and setting up WINE on your Linux
WINE is one from the popular tool to run Windows applications on the Linux device. It doesn’t require Windows license to install or run Windows software as well as it has the capability to run most of the Windows games. There are also some issues with WINE; it runs several Windows apps and games sluggishly and creates troubles with new products of Windows. Here is how to set up WINE to install and use Windows apps on your Linux.
1. Start ‘Terminal’ window on your Linux device.
2. Type the command “sudo apt-get install wine-y” and proceed. This command will work on Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, and several others. Sometimes, you may see an error message with this command. If this happens, try running the command “sudo apt-get install wine-stable-y” instead.
Here are the commands for installing WINE on Linux:
· On CentOS & Fedora: run “sudo yum install wine.”
· For Manjaro, Arch, and some other: try “sudo pacman -S wine.”
· On OpenSUSE: run “sudo zypper install wine.”
3. Insert your Linux user account password, when prompted.
4. Allow WINE to install to your Linux desktop.
Once the tool installs, you need to set it up by running “winecfg” in the terminal and selecting the “/drive_c” under Drives tab of Wine configuration window. Now, you can download the Windows (.exe) apps from a browser and add them under the Application tab of Wine configuration window to start using.
Enjoy the experience of both Linux and Windows on your Linux desktop.
Aida Martin is a self-professed security expert; she has been making the people aware of the security threats. Her passion is to write about Cybersecurity, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. She writes for Norton security products at norton.com/setup.
Created on Sep 17th 2019 04:02. Viewed 117 times.