How to Fix VPN not working properly issue in Windows 10?by Harry Williams Manager
A VPN will help you to make sure you are not traceable throughout the internet. It works also to connect to VPN to be on a secure network. Sometimes, you may notice that network issues have shown an error, and in that situation, you will not be able to connect to the internet. Even, if any website is not loaded, or there is a login issue to a network using VPN, then this post will help you to resolve Windows 10 VPN not working issues.
If you are facing any issues while connecting with VPN, then you can read this article. Here, you will see some tips to fix Windows 10 VPN not working problems.
This post is offering some solutions for the different issue such as- failed to initialize the connection, VPN client does not work or is not connecting, connects but webpage not loading, connects but no access, etc. The solution could be a simple DNS flush or as complex as editing a registry entry.
Before starting the solutions, here you will see some basic troubleshooting that you can to try to fix VPN issues on Windows 10.
First- You have to make sure that your Windows 10 is updated to the latest version. Some updates can fix your VPN related issues instantly.
Second- You must reinstall the network drivers to the latest version or try some old drivers to see if that fixes.
Third- The issue can be as simple as Cached DNS.
Fourth- You can also check if your router needs an update.
Troubleshooting steps to fix VPN not working in Windows 10:
Below you will get some of the advanced solutions to fix VPN related issues. To start this process, you will need for an Administrator account.
1- Reinstall VPN Software
If you have VPN software, instead of the inbuilt VPN feature of Windows 10, then you have to reinstall it as proper time. Some of the time the configuration of the software it can make a cause of the software, and simple reinstallation fixes. Also, do cross check if your VPN software subscription has expired.
2- Reinstall WAN MiniPorts
WAN Miniports are drivers for any type of network connection. WAN Miniport (IP), WAN Miniport (IPv6) and WAN Miniport (PPTP) work for VPN connections, i.e., connection to a PPTP VPN server. You can easily reinstall the drivers again with the help of Windows.
- Open the Device Manager.
- Then search the Network Adapters.
- Now, uninstall the WAN Miniport (IP), WAN Miniport (IPv6) and WAN Miniport (PPTP).
- Click on the Action and then scan for hardware changes
- The adapters you just uninstalled should come back.
- After that, you will need to try connecting again.
- We hope that you are good to go.
3- Configure Firewall
Windows Firewall will help you to get that no unsecured or unauthorized connection get access to your computer system. Windows Firewall has good ability to disable or lock all of these requests from the VPN software assuming it to be a threat.
- Go to the Cortana Search bar and type Firewall here.
- Then select the”Allow an app through Windows Firewall” option.
- Then you will need to click on the Change settings button.
- In the given list, you will need to find your VPN software.
- After that, you need to make sure that both the Public and Private networks are enabled.
- If your software has not listed on the mentioned list, then you can get it manually with the help of Allow another app.
- Then you will need to confirm your changes.
- Now you can try to connect through your VPN again.
4- Disable IPv6
Most of the times the IPv6 can create some problems while connecting to the network. By default, it is still set to IPv4; you can check it by disabling IPv6 and run everything on IPv4. Each of the VPN can create a software-based network adapter. So, you will need to change adapter settings for this VPN to IPv4.
- To do this, you need to open the Network and the Internet.
- Then open the Network and Sharing Center.
- Here, you will need to select the Change adapter settings from the left pane.
- Then right-click on the VPN network adapter.
- After that, you will need to open the Properties.
- Then you will need to uncheck the box beside IPv6 and then confirm the changes whatever you have done.
- After completing the above-given steps, you will need to reboot your computer system and then try it again.
We hope that at least one of these tricks will help you to fix Windows 10 VPN not working issue from your computer system.
Created on Jul 6th 2018 04:23. Viewed 126 times.