How to Enable Windows Defender to Scan Mapped Network Drives
by Lucia Mandela software
In case you have a mapped network drive on your Windows 10 PC, then Windows Defender will not scan it for potential security risks. But it is essential to make sure that it is also scanned during every routine scanning of Widows Defender to keep your system safe. Mapped network drives can easily catch viruses and infected files via the internet. It is crucial to ensure that these drives are regularly scanned for threats. Let’s learn how to enable Windows Defender to scan your mapped network drives.
Source: How to Enable Windows Defender to Scan Mapped Network Drives
Activating Auto Scanning for Mapped Network Drives in Windows Defender
For Windows 10 Home
- Make sure to create a system restore point before getting started.
- Then press Windows Logo + D keys together on your keyboard to get to the home screen.
- Hit Start + R key on your keyboard to trigger the Run dialogue box.
- Then put in “regedit” and hit Enter to initiate the command.
- Now make sure to reach the “Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scan” path using the left side navigation bar.
- In case there is no Scan folder then you will need to create it. For this right-click on the Windows Defender folder on the left bar.
- Hover your cursor to the New option.
- Then choose the Key option.
- Now label it as “Scan”.
- Make a right-click on the Scan folder from the left menu.
- Head to New.
- Navigate to DWORD (32-bit) Value
- In the value name dialogue box, copy and paste the “DisableScanningMappedNetworkDrivesForFullScan” command.
- Now ensure type 0 in the Value Data text box.
- Once that done, hit the Ok button and then close the wizard.
- Restart the device to see the changes.
- From now on, your Windows Defender will scan your mapped network drives as well.
For Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro
- Create a system restore point for safety measures before starting.
- Then tap the Start + R keys altogether on your keyboard to open the Run application.
- After that enter gpedit.msc and press on the OK button to launch the next window.
- You will see the Local Group Policy Editor window.
- There you need to go to Computer Configuration on your left menu.
- After that, make a press on Administrative Templates.
- Go to Windows Components.
- Head to Microsoft Defender Antivirus.
- Open the Scan folder.
- In the right side box, find the file named “Run a full scan on mapped network drives”.
- Make a double click on that.
- There is an option saying Run a full scan on mapped network drives, make sure to select the Enabled option located beneath it.
- Press on the Ok button to save settings.
- Exit from Group Policy Editor.
- Reboot the device to make sure that the effect may appear.
- Run a full system scan in Windows Defender to scan your whole PC including mapped network drives.
How to Turn off the scanning for Mapped Network Drives?
If you want to disable the Windows Defender scanning for your mapped network drives then kindly see the instructions given down here.
- Open the Group Policy editor sung the same way as mentioned above.
- Then navigate to the Scan folder as mentioned above.
- Double click on Run full scan on mapped network drives file.
- Choose the same option as Not Configured.
- Press the Ok button at the bottom.
Created on Apr 20th 2020 02:08. Viewed 80 times.