How to dual-boot Windows 7 with Windows 8?by Ellie Williams Web Designer
Want to run different versions of Windows on the same PC? With the advancement of technology it is possible and quite easy now. For most of the users, running one operating system on their computer system is enough, while others want to have two operating systems in order to run a specific software or application that is not compatible with the older version of Windows. Some users also want this if they are using Windows 7 but ain’t sure that they are ready for the new Windows upgrade or not.
In both cases, a dual-boot would go perfect. This will let you use both Windows 7 as well as Windows 8 run side-by-side. To configure your computer system for a dual-boot, you have to create a partition for Windows 8 and install it thereafter. Before you do so, remember to backup all your important files and data in order to avoid data loss risk during disk partition modification.
How to create a new partition in Windows 7?
- Press Windows + R key to open run
- Enter diskmgmt.msc to begin disk management
- To create space for Windows 8, you have to shrink the C drive (Windows 7)
- To do this, right click on hard drive and choose Shrink Volume and then select how much space you want to shrink
- Once done, right-click on the unallocated partition and choose New Simple Volume
- Now go through the New Simple Volume Wizard and make sure to format new partitions in NTFS and label it “Windows 8”
How to install Windows 8?
- Insert a bootable Windows 8 DVD or USB flash drive and then reboot it to start Windows 8 installation
- Select the type of installation as custom
- Choose the location (the new partition you have created) where the Windows 8 will be installed
After the installation finishes, the boot menu will be prompted with both Windows 7 and Windows 8. Windows 8 will automatically start after 30 seconds. To change the default Windows settings and to set Windows 7 as your default Windows, click “change defaults or choose other options” from the boot menu.
Created on Sep 14th 2017 05:42. Viewed 274 times.