How to Choose the Best Audio Converterby Kate Summel Sport
The volume of HD music purchased and downloaded is growing daily. Large music libraries accumulate on our storage devices.
We need to convert music formats and resolutions for:
- adjusting formats and resolutions for the capabilities of DAC / DAC, portable audio players and mobile phones, car music systems, music servers, streamers and other multimedia devices;
- smaller music files to accommodate more music on the hard drive;
The main requirement for an audio converter is the minimum loss of quality when converting formats.
Some formats can be converted to each other without loss:
- CD-audio, FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC, WV, APE в FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC, WV, APE
- ISO, DSF, DFF в DSF, DFF
Lossless conversion is possible when input, output sample rates, bit depths are identical.
Resampling (changing the sampling rate) and changing the bit depth in general, changing the volume, filtering are lossy processing. The converter meets all these requirements - https://online-audio-convert.com/
Converters can be divided into classes depending on the quality of processing:
- for home use;
This is a rough definition of classes. There is no standard definition.
A professional audio converter should provide a significant margin of processing quality in order for it to be transparent to the user.
The audio converter has many options (see list below). In order to choose a conversion program, you need to select the most important parameters for you and compare several programs by them. On the Internet, as a rule, both free audio converters and free demos of paid programs are available.
- Resampling (sometimes several modes are available)
- Bit depth change
- Export metadata / meta tags (song, album, artist, year, images, etc.)
- Metadata management (meta tags)
- Support for compatibility of metadata with various players
- Support for different character encodings (different languages) metadata
- CD ripping
- Support for PCM formats (WAV, FLAC, AIFF, ALAC, mp3 , m4a, ...)
- Support for DSD formats (ISO, DSF, DFF, ..)
- Support for CUE + FLAC , CUE + WAV, CUE + DSF, ...
- Multichannel music support
- Music volume normalization
- Changing the volume
- Seamless album conversion
- Downmix 5.1 in stereo (downmix)
- Other treatments
- Managing the directory structure of the output (converted) files
- Support for non-English characters
- Processing speed
- Distortion level (less is better)
- Mathematical processing precision (24/32/64-bit integer or 32/64-bit floating point - float point)
- Various service functionality
- Supported Operating Systems (Mac, Windows, Linux)
- Easy to use graphical user interface
Resampling is changing the sample rate for:
- adjusting the resolution of the musical material to the capabilities of the DAC / DAC, software, player;
- reduce file size.
Digital filters are used for resampling:
- Linear Phase - Linear phase response.
- With minimum phase - somewhat non-linear phase-frequency response without pre-ringing.
Created on Dec 12th 2020 13:10. Viewed 203 times.