Graduated Non-EU Students can Stay in Spain After Their Studies

by Jeduka Helpdesk Education Counsultant
Non-EU students studying at universities in Spain will be able to stay in Spain after graduation. The international students will now be able to remain in Spain for up to two years after they complete their studies. This means these students will not need to renew their residence permits yearly again but will be automatically granted the permit to stay for two years.

Number of International Students in Spain

Ministry of Education data shows that international students accounted for 9.4% of the student population in Spain in 2021. The Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation pointed out that 208,366 international students pursued studies at higher education institutions in Spain during the 2019/2020 academic year, including students in mobility programs. Few long-standing problems make Spain an unattractive destination for international students seeking higher education.

New Law to Attract International Students

Even with the lower tuition fee than other studies abroad destinations, students hesitate to study in Spain as the verification of their qualifications takes more time, and they are not given residence permits to stay in the country after graduation. Thousands of students who have gained diplomas in Spain have already left the country. Over the past decade, 90,000 graduates in Spain moved to other countries to build their careers. To tackle this, the Spanish government announced that it is working on legislation that will allow non-EU students to stay in Spain. 

Joan Subirats, Spanish Universities Minister, confirmed that the new University System Law sees the extension of the residence permit for the duration of studies, stressing that students will no need to apply for a residence permit every year. Spanish authorities should find ways to retain the talent that has been educated in Spain, so the latter continue to have a residence status and get employed for two years in the country.

Final Words

Currently, all graduates who are not nationals of the EU must apply for an extension of their residence permits to be permitted to stay in Spain. Nevertheless, as soon as the new legislation gets approved, they will no longer have to go through these procedures. It is expected that the new University Systems Law will be addressed at the Spanish Cabinet in the coming weeks, before requiring parliamentary approval for it to come into effect. If approved, it will be the best news for those looking to build their careers in Spain after their studies.

Sponsor Ads

About Jeduka Helpdesk Advanced   Education Counsultant

100 connections, 2 recommendations, 449 honor points.
Joined APSense since, October 14th, 2016, From Ahmedabad, India.

Created on Jun 23rd 2022 02:30. Viewed 122 times.


No comment, be the first to comment.
Please sign in before you comment.