Diesel Engine Adjusting Instructionsby Generator D. Diesel Generator
Valve clearance checking should be conducted after the engine has been stopped and the coolant temperature falls to below 60℃. This is the pat 1 for diesel engine maintenance. In other posts, the engine troubleshooting guidelines information will be provided.
(1) Remove the nut on the valve cover and scrap the cover and scrap the seals and gaskets
(2) Rotate the engine and make the piston of No. 1 cylinder position at the top dead center on the compression stroke.
Note: When the indicator 11 0n the flywheel housing points at mark o in the flywheel viewed from the observing window on the flywheel housing plate 9, the piston of N0 1 0r No. 6 cylinder is at the top dead center.
(3) Check if the rocker arms of No.l cylinder are loose. If they are loose, the piston of No. 1 cylinder is at the top dead center on compression stroke; if not. the piston of No. 6 cylinder is at the top dead center on compression stroke.
(4) When the piston of No.l cylinder is at the TDC on compression stroke, check with a feeler gauge the intake valve clearances of No. 1, 2, 4, 9, 11 and 12 cylinders, as well as the exhaust valve clearances of No.l, 3, 5, 8, 9 and 12 cylinders; when the piston of No.6 cylinder is at the TDC an compression stroke, check with a feeler gauge the intake valve clearances of No. 3, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10 cylinders, as well as the exhaust valve clearances of No. 2, 4, 6, 7, 10 and 11 cylinders;
Note: The clearance is correct when some resistance is felt at which the feeler gauge is slipped between a valve stem and a rocker arm.
(5) If a valve clearance fails to meet the requirement, loosen the adjusting screw locknut on the corresponding rocker arm, adjust the clearance to the specified value and tighten the locknut t0 50 - 60 N-m. Check the valve clearance again and it should not change.
0.30 - 0.35 mm
0.35 - 0.40 mm
(6) Mark a sign on the damper and rotate the crankshaft for a circle (360 degrees). Follow the same steps to adjust the rest intake and exhaust valve clearances.
(7) Install the valve cover with new seals and gaskets and tighten the cover nuts t0 10-15 N-m.
5.3.18 Checking intercooler and its lines.
Perform visual check on the air inlet and outlet chambers of the intercooler for crack, perforation or other damages, and on the air inlet and outlet pipes of the intercooler for sealing-off and other damages. Replace the intercooler if necessary.
Perform visual check on the hoses of the air inlet and outlet pipes for crack, and check clamps for looseness. Replace the hose(s) if any fault is found, and tighten clamp screws if looseness is found.
5.3.19 Checking fan bearing
Remove the drive belt. Turn the fan to check the fan bearing for normality. When rotating the fan, there should be no vibration or excessive axial or/and radial movement. Replace the fan hub if
5.3.20 Checking turbocharger
Perform visual check on the impeller blades of the turbine and compressor of the turbocharger for damage, crack, or contact with their housings when a light finger pressure applied on them. And check the turbocharger shaft for not being free spinning. In case that any of the above problems occur, the turbocharger should be replaced.
5.3.21 Checking vibration damper
Check the vibration damper for damping fluid (silicon fluid) leak and surface dents. Also examine the thickness of damper to confirm if the damper has become deformed. In case that any of the above problems occur, the damper should be replaced.
5.3.22 Changing coolant and cleaning cooling system
In order to ensure the engine coolant to be good in cooling and anti corrosion, the replacement of coolant and cleaning of cooling system are required every 2,000 hours or 2 years, whichever comes first.
Warning: At operating temperature, engine coolant is hot and under pressure, and coolant steam can cause personal injury. Do not remover the pressure cap on the radiator until the engine stops and coolant temperature goes below 50'C. Slowly unscrew the pressure cap to release the cooling system pressure.
Warning: The anti rust additive in the coolant contains alkali. Avoid skin and eye contact with it to prevent personal injury.
(1) Stop the engine and wait until the temperature of the coolant falls to below 50'C. Slowly unscrew the pressure cap to release the cooling system pressure and remove the cap. Loosen the drain cock of the radiator to completely drain the coolant in the radiator.
(2) Loosen the drain cocks of the oil coolers (one on each engine side), remove the water drain plugs of the water pumps (one on each engine side) to drain the coolant in the engine cooling system.
(3) Clean the cooling system according to the following steps.
(a) Install and screw up all the drain cocks and plugs, and add the sodium carbonate solution (or the mixture of sodium carbonate and water that is available in market) into the cooling system from the coolant filler.
Caution: Each 23 L of water should be mixed with 0.5 kg sodium carbonate. Do not use caustic cleaner, or it will do harm to aluminum parts.
We supply multiple brands of generator set, such as: Cummins generator, Volvo, Deutz, Doosan Daewoo, MTU, Ricardo, Perkins, Shangchai, Weichai, Yuchai etc. The style of genset is varied, such as: container genset, trailer genset, portable trailer genset, soundproof genset, low noise genset, and silent genset, etc. Besides, we also supply design and construction of the noise reduction project up to the customer's requirements.
Created on Dec 28th 2017 03:42. Viewed 63 times.