Causes And Treatment Of Histamine Intoleranceby Sydney Health Wellness Centre Joanne Kennedy Naturopathy
Histamine can also be released from cells due to an increase in inflammatory cytokines, certain medications, certain foods, chemicals and physical stimuli.
Histamine intolerance occurs in certain people due to an inability to detoxify histamine. There are two ways the body detoxifies histamine; via the DAO enzyme in the gastrointestinal tract and via the HNMT enzyme which requires adequate availability of a methyl group.
Histamine can build up in the body due to:
1. Genetic DAO enzyme deficiency
2. DAO enzyme being saturated with histamine and not being able to clear it effectively via the gastrointestinal tract. Oversaturation of histamine can be caused by:
- Allergic reaction
- Tissue injury
- Gut infections (bacteria and parasites)
- Over consumption of high histamine foods (aged and fermented foods)
- Oestrogen increases the release of histamine and decreases DAO enzyme activity
- Deficiency of DAO enzyme cofactors including Vitamin B6, Vitamin C and copper
- Methylation issues (MTHFR gene mutation)
- HNMT gene mutation
- DAO gene mutation
Signs and symptoms of histamine intolerance include:
- Hives (urticaria)
- Itchy skin (pruritus)
- Tissue swelling (oedema)
- Low blood pressure
- Fast pulse/heart racing or tachycardia
- Headaches and migraines
- Hayfever and sinusitis
- Hyperacidity in the stomach and reflux
- Burning sensation in the stomach
- Dysmenorrhea (painful periods)
Histamine Intolerance Treatment through natural medicine:
- Reducing foods high histamine is one of the first steps in reducing the amount of histamine in the body. Foods high in histamine include shell fish, sauerkraut, kimchi, pickles, olives, aged cheeses and cured meats.
- Correcting any gut issues which may include eliminating any bacteria or parasites that release histamine into the body. Sydney Naturopath has had great success in treating people with histamine intolerance by healing their gut issues.
- Correcting any methylation pathway issues to ensure the HNMT gene is working optimally. Naturopath Sydney has had great success in treating people with histamine intolerance by correcting methylation and MTHFR gene mutation issues
- Addressing any inflammatory conditions such as autoimmune thyroid (Hashimotos and Graves Disease) is very important for reducing histamine.
- Supporting liver detoxification of oestrogens is recommended for treatment of women’s hormones Sydney as too much oestrogen will increase histamine in the body.
Histamine is a biogenic amine that is released by basophils and mast cells in response to injury and in allergic reactions. Its role it to mediate inflammation which will cause an increase in vasodilation and vascular permeability to facilitate the infiltration of white blood cells to the site of injury for repair.
Created on Mar 30th 2018 08:42. Viewed 154 times.