Amazing uses of the RFID Technologyby Rakesh Kumar singh Sr . SEO and Digital Expert
RFID or Radio Frequency Identification technology is a communication between an RFID reader and an electronic tag attached to a person, animal, or object, performed using radio waves, for identification and tracking.
Being deployed across several industries and businesses, RFID technology is opening up new possibilities for AIDC (Automatic Identification and Data Capture) technologies.
A COMPREHENSIVE IDEA OF RFID TECHNOLOGY
RFID is a technology and means of identifying and tracking objects using radio frequency transmission. The dominant frequencies used for tagging of items are 125 and 134 kHz (LF), 13.56 MHz (HF), and 800-900 MHz (UHF).
HOW DOES A RFID TAG WORK?
An RFID tag or a transponder, made of an IC Chip attached to a small radio antenna, contains all the information related to the item it is fixed on or embedded into, i.e., it’s a unique ID, serial number and other data. In the proximity of an RFID-enabled scanner or reader, the information given in the tag is automatically read and inputted into a user database.
ADVANTAGES OF USING RFID TECHNOLOGY
RFID technology provides several benefits for maintaining consumer and product records. The advantages are-
1. No line of sight is necessary for reading the product details or tracking an item or a living being.
2. The RFID tag needs no particular orientation to work correctly.
3. There is no need for manual scanning.
4. Reading distance is convenient.
5. The RFID tag IC memory is available in different sizes.
6. The information on the RFID tags can be edited or locked according to convenience and necessity.
7. The simultaneous reading of many tags is possible.
8. The RFID tags act as a portable database for the tagged item.
9. The RFID tags are also available to suit extremes of environment like Metal tags, High-Temperature Resistant tag.
BENEFITS OF RFID FOR BUSINESSES
1. Better tracking of work to speed up the production process in a warehouse, RFID systems offer several such benefits to a business.
2. Concerning the pain points (if any), in a company, such as visibility issues or tracking of assets, the RFID technology enables a business organization to have an automatic visualization of objects without the line of sight or the need for human intervention.
3. The other ways in with RFID technology benefits an organization are-
· Reduction in errors in administration,
· Reduction in the cost of labor associated with the scanning of barcodes,
· Reduction in the errors of shipping goods and
· More efficient labs for inventions and innovation.
4. The domains in which the RFID tags can be conveniently used, ranges from clothing tags to missiles, from petting animals to usage in the pharmaceutical industries, anywhere where a unique identification system is required.
RFID TAGS Vs. BARCODES
1. Read rate- Multiple RFID tags can be read simultaneously, whereas barcodes have to be optically visible and manually scanned one at a time.
2. Line of sight- is not required for reading RFID tags as long as they are within the range of the reader or antenna, whereas barcodes must be physically scanned along with the particular orientation of items.
3. Human Capital- Once running, the RFID system is entirely automated and doesn’t require human intervention. Barcodes need proper direction with a scanner, which is done manually.
4. Read/Write Capability- RFID can be read and edited. Barcodes can be read-only.
5. Durability- High for RFID and low for barcodes.
6. Security- RFID data is challenging to replicate. Barcodes are less secure.
7. Event Triggering- RFID can be used but not Barcodes.
Created on Jan 21st 2020 06:44. Viewed 465 times.