A Short Guide To UnderstandingHistamine Symptoms and Treatment options.by Andrew Stella SEO EXECUTIVE
Histamine intolerance can cause:
· A reduction in DAO enzyme activity. The DAO enzyme resides in the small intestine and large intestine and is responsible for the degradation of histamine in the gut.
· A decrease in the effectiveness or abundance of histamine-N-methyltransferase, or HNMT, an enzyme that helps break down histamine within cells.
What are the causes of histamine intolerance?
Diet – many foods contain histamine including fermented foods, aged meats and cheeses, shell fish, tinned fish, tomato, eggplant, shell avocado, citrus fruit, peanuts and walnuts.
Dysbiosis – an imbalance of bacteria in the small intestine (SIBO) or large intestine can increase the release of histamine.
Oestrogen – stimulates the release of histamine from mast cells
Usually, the enzyme DAO, and to a lesser extent HNMT, breaks down ingested histamine, preventing it from being absorbed in the gut and entering the bloodstream.
Some factors can, however, interfere with how DAO and HMNT work, or how much of these enzymes are present in the gut.
Common factors that interfere with DAO and HMNT levels include many prescription drugs, for example:
· airway medications, such as theophylline
· heart medications
· muscle relaxants
· pain medications
· gastrointestinal medicines
The list also includes over-the-counter (OTC) and prescription anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) and painkillers, such as:
· acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin)
· indomethacin (Indocin)
· diclofenac (Voltaren)
What are the symptoms?
The symptoms of histamine intolerance vary but tend to mimic those of other allergic reactions.
Common symptoms include:
· chronic headache
· flushing, especially of the head and chest
· irritable bowel syndrome or IBS
· congested, runny, or itchy nose
· red, itchy, or watery eyes
· shortness of breath
· hives or red, raised, itchy, burning bumps
· very itchy skin
· unexplained anxiety
· stomach cramps or pain
· chronic constipation
· nausea and vomiting
· gas or bloating
People who may have histamine intolerance or are looking to reduce or reverse the condition will often need to go on a low-histamine diet. Usually, this means limiting the intake of histamine-rich foods rather than excluding them entirely.
Women’s Hormones Sydney treatment may also focus on reducing histamine foods, as histamine can stimulate the ovaries to produce excess oestrogen which will lead to hormonal imbalance.
MTHFR symptoms often relate to histamine intolerance as MTHFR is involved in the production of methyl groups that are needed for the HNMT enzyme to function.
For more information visit here:- Naturopath Eczema Sydney
Created on May 21st 2019 07:24. Viewed 435 times.