Myths Associated with Drug Rehab Addiction Treatments and the Truth Behind Themby Mike Dorsan Health Consultant Convincing your loved one to get treatment for drug addiction is a big task. But overcoming the various myths associated with drug rehab addiction treatment is not easy either. For a person with limited knowledge about how the drug rehab works, it can be too easy to get influenced by those myths and fail to get professional help for the addiction. To make it easy for such people to identify myth from truth, it is important to lay down few myths that have been associated with drug recovery programs and treatments for a long time.
These myths have prevented several addiction patients to seek complete sobriety. Some of these myths are discussed below -
1. Addiction happens willfully – Those who think that people get addicted to drugs do it with their own will are seriously mistaken. While starting to use drugs may be a willful decision for most people, it is definitely not something that people would actually want to get addicted to. However, a person who begins using drugs often get empowered by the drugs of abuse and lose control. In fact, just like any other disease, like diabetes, hypertension or heart disease, addiction occurs when we are negligent about our lifestyle. But no one really wants to suffer from diabetes, heart disease or any such chronic diseases.
2. Addiction equals to immorality and insanity – In majority of cases, genetic factors are to be blamed for drug addiction in a person. In other cases, it can be because of social pressures, loss of a loved one, erratic lifestyle, abuse and trauma, and various other factors. Calling addicts immoral or insane is not appropriate in most cases because they are the ones who are suffering from the addiction and feel helpless about it. It is important to reach out such people and help them to take the path of sobriety through professional support.
3. Drug rehab addiction treatments never work – No drug recovery program offers 100% success rate. However, saying that they don’t work at all would be untrue. The drug rehab centers are medically-supervised centers where best doctors, therapists and counselors work together to revive the physical, mental and spiritual health of a patient to help him lead a sober life. When done by the right people at the place, recovery programs have a high percentage of success rate.
4. If the addict isn’t willing, the recovery program wouldn’t work – Due to the excessive chemical dependency, a drug addict often fails to gather the will power to fight against the disease. But this doesn’t mean he cannot be cured. Even if the patient is not in a position to seek help, counseling sessions can help him in realizing the harm of addiction and benefits of sober living. In cases like these, the support from family members and friends plays crucial role in recovery.
5. A relapse is bound to occur – Many people avoid drug rehabs and recovery programs because they feel that the results are not long-lasting and once the patient is out from the facility, he is most likely to get on drugs again. However, this is primarily a myth. Aftercare services are a significant part of the recovery programs offered by the recognized and licensed rehab centers. Here, the patient is not only provided detox and counseling sessions within the facility, but their team also follows up with the patient once the program is over. Long-term aftercare is what prevents relapse from happening.
Thus, instead of stigmatizing addiction, it is important to recognize it as a disease and seek help from profession drug rehab centers. Also, it is important to select the right treatment program and facility to increase the chances of recovery.
Created on Dec 31st 1969 18:00. Viewed 0 times.
No comment, be the first to comment.